Lawsuit filed to make Pokémon Go away

Yolanda Curtis
August 8, 2016

It was just released in South America and Brazil, but it would have been released sooner had it not been for the third party applications that tried to get into the game's servers without permission from Niantic.

Since it has been disabled, the game's ratings on Apple's App Store and Google Play have fallen from 4.0 stars to 1.0-1.5.

In a new address on their website, Niantic says that the reason they have shut down websites and apps like Pokevision is because they negatively impact the game's servers.


Now, Niantic is finally communicating with players.

In spite of so many apparent missteps made by Niantic recently, it doesn't sound like there is any stopping Pokemon GO- new data from analytics firm Sensor Tower reveals that the game has now topped a staggering $160 million in revenue globally. But this action may lead to the downfall of the augmented reality game.

In a lawsuit filed Friday Jeffrey Marder alleges that he's had: "strangers gathering outside of his home, holding up mobile phones as if they were taking pictures". "At least five individuals knocked on Plaintiff's door and asked for access to Plaintiff's backyard in order to 'catch" Pokemon that the game had placed at Plaintiff's residence".


Fans will also be excited to hear that in Niantic's statement, CEO John Hanke says that they are "actively working on" fixing the nearby tracker.

According to the lawsuit, a MA homeowner whose property was designated as a Pokemon gym reported more than 15 uninvited visitors shortly after the game's release. Some reports suggested players have previously manipulated the game's code to make legendary or other unseen Pokemon appear in the game.

The man filed the damages lawsuit with a federal district court in California.


The suit is believed to be one of the first against the companies on behalf of private property owners.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER