10000 killed in Yemen war

Cheryl Sanders
August 31, 2016

At least 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen's 18-month-old civil war, the United Nations on Tuesday, nearly double the estimates of more than 6,000 cited by officials and aid workers for much of 2016.

Jamie McGoldrick, a United Nations humanitarian official and the agency's representative to Yemen, said the new estimate is based on statistics from medical facilities in the country-a number that may rise as many people are often buried without official records, Reuters reports.

Jamie McGoldrick added that the figure might be even higher as some areas in Yemen lack medical facilities, and families there often bury loved ones by themselves.


"People get killed or die and are actually buried before they are recorded, and we don't have a way of recording that".

Hostilities in the war-torn country resumed last month after UN-sponsored peace talks between the Saudi-backed Yemeni government and the Iran-allied Houthi rebels broke down in Kuwait without an agreement.

The UN human rights office said earlier this month that about 6,000 civilians were killed and more than 6,700 wounded in Yemen between March 2015 and August 23, 2016.


Yemen descended into chaos after the 2012 removal of long-time President Ali Abdullah Saleh, whose forces are now fighting alongside Houthis.

The conflict has forced three million Yemenis from their homes, 200,000 of whom had sought refuge overseas, McGoldrick said.

A day earlier, McGoldrick called for the reopening of the airport and the resumption of commercial flights into Sanaa, which fell to the Houthis in September 2014. The United Nations had information that 900,000 of the displaced meant to try to return to their homes.


More than half of Yemen's 26 million population need food aid and seven million are suffering from food insecurity, he said.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER